Bright, sunny and refreshing, our Pure Orange Extract is made from the finest-quality oranges and serves as the perfect partner to many flavors, both sweet and savory. Its fresh citrus flavor is ready right from the bottle, there’s no need to zest or juice.
A cross between a pomelo and a mandarin, the orange was originally cultivated by ancient Southeast Asians and is therefore known in several languages as the “Chinese Apple.” Unlike what you might expect, the name orange doesn’t refer to the color but, instead, comes from the Sanskrit word for fragrant. Orange trees eventually spread to North Africa in the First Century A.D. Later, the Moorish conquest of Spain spread oranges north into Europe. Orange seeds made the trip across the Atlantic with Columbus, quickly spreading throughout the warmer regions of North America, Central and South America as well as the Caribbean.
- Sweet ideas: fruit pies, marmalades, jams, cookies, sherbets, creams, custards, ice creams, cookies, fruit salads, gelatins, sauces, any dish with: strawberry, pineapple, chocolate, kumquats
- Savory ideas: salad dressings, chicken, rice and fish dishes
- Beverage ideas: whiskey ciders, ginger fizzes, whiskey sours, hot cocoa, add to chocolate milk and cranberry juice
- Chef’s notes: Add a few drops of Pure Orange Extract to Hollandaise sauce, as a flavorful topping for vegetables.
- Ingredients: Alcohol (90%), Natural Oil of Orange, Water